What are Flow Controls?
JDP supply Flow Control Valves as individual units (in stainless steel or plastic) or complete with chamber (in concrete or HDPE) to bespoke design as part of a SUDS system to control the rate at which stormwater leaves a particular site. A typical application of these valves is to control the flow from storm water attenuation/infiltration tanks preventing downstream flooding during periods of heavy rainfall.
The valve controls fluid flow by hydraulic effect without requiring moving parts. At low flow rates, the valve allows water to enter through the inlet passing to the outlet unrestricted. However, at high flow rates water enters through the inlet with enough energy to create a vortex in the chamber. This vortex controls flow to the specified discharge rate.
- Head - Depth from invert level of outlet to the top water level upstream
- Flow - Required discharge
- Type of application - ie. foul, combined or stormwater
- Any details of the proposed application, manhole details or control chamber proposals
Flow Controls can be used wherever there is a need to limit the rate of forward flow of surface water within a drainage system. Typical schemes include:
- Source Control/SUDS Schemes
- Traditional Attenuation Storage
- Energy Dissipation / Velocity Control
Orichamber - Single Dwelling Orifice Control Chamber
The JFC OriChamber is a prefabricated unit which comprises a Ø600mm Twinwall Chamber with base, 110mm internal and outlet pipework and a pedestrian duty (bolt down) cover. The unit is available in two standard depths of 1.0m and 1.5m incorporating a 150mm sump. (Other depths available to order).
Fitted with a 110mm overflow pipe complete with debris cowl, the pipe and cowl can be removed if the orifice becomes blocked which allows the system to drain down and the blockage removed.
Two number 110mm inlet connection seals are supplied loose with a hole saw enabling them to be fitted easily to the required level and orientation on-site. This offers unique flexibility to the user.
Features & Benefits
- Prefabricated for ease of installation.
- Removable cover and frame to allow shaft to be trimmed on site to suit final levels
- Two inlet seals supplied along with a holesaw to allow them to be located at a suitable level and orientation.
- Overflow pipe which can be removed to allow the system to be drained if the orifice becomes blocked.
Corriflow - Flow Control Chamber
JFC design a bespoke range of prefabricated catchpit chambers which incorporate either a JFC Hydro-Valve or JFC Hydro-Plate.
These units are individually fabricated to suit specific site information, such as levels, inlet / outlet pipe diameters and orientations, design flow and design head, etc.
Features & Benefits
- Fast Installation.
- Lightweight (compared to conventional construction manholes).
- Designed to fit JFC CorriPipe.
- No requirement for confined space entry (during installation).
- Bespoke as per customer specifications.
One of the easiest to install, is the Hydro-Brake® Chamber, comprises a precast reinforced concrete chamber base containing a bespoke Hydro-Brake® Flow Control Valve.
A range of outlet pipe sizes are also available to suit site requirements. Once lifted into position, the connecting pipework can be installed. Depending on the overall depth of chamber required, further concrete rings can be added and the cover slab positioned (additional concrete rings and cover slab sold separately).
Hydro-Brake® Chamber Range
Option 1 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with High Level Overflow
Option 2 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with Adjacent Penstock
Option 3 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with Integral Weir Wall
Option 3 - Option 4 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with Complex Flow Controls
The Hydro-Valve is designed with a curved back to be installed on the internal wall of a 1200mm diameter concrete or plastic chamber.
Features & Benefits
- Manufactured to customised specifications
- Self activating and self cleaning
- Minimal maintenance
- The outlet opening is 3-6 times larger than conventional controls
- Reduce storage requirements by up to 30% compared to an orifice plate
- Curved back with neoprene seal allows ease of installation compared with conventional vortex valves
- The Hydro-Valve unit is attached to the inside of a standard 1200mm (diameter) manhole with six steel anchors (supplied)
- Available to suit rectangular manholes upon request
- Full installation drawings are supplied with Hydro-Valve
JDP can also supply individual Stainless Steel flow control valves