What are Flow Controls?
JDP supply Flow Control Valves as individual units (in stainless steel or plastic) or complete with chamber (in concrete or HDPE) to bespoke design as part of a SUDS system to control the rate at which stormwater leaves a particular site. A typical application of these valves is to control the flow from storm water attenuation/infiltration tanks preventing downstream flooding during periods of heavy rainfall.
The valve controls fluid flow by hydraulic effect without requiring moving parts. At low flow rates, the valve allows water to enter through the inlet passing to the outlet unrestricted. However, at high flow rates water enters through the inlet with enough energy to create a vortex in the chamber. This vortex controls flow to the specified discharge rate.
- Head - Depth from invert level of outlet to the top water level upstream
- Flow - Required discharge
- Type of application - ie. foul, combined or stormwater
- Any details of the proposed application, manhole details or control chamber proposals
Flow Controls can be used wherever there is a need to limit the rate of forward flow of surface water within a drainage system. Typical schemes include:
- Source Control/SUDS Schemes
- Traditional Attenuation Storage
- Energy Dissipation / Velocity Control
Stormcheck Vortex Flow Control Chamber
These HDPE plastic chambers are made to specific requirements according to the application, providing a sealed chamber ready to install complete with a stainless steel flow control device. This makes the Stormcheck Chamber one of the easiest products to install.
Features & Benefits
- Pre-Fabricated to customer specification
- Choice of depth up to a maximum invert level of six metres
- Choice of chamber size, 1050mm, 1200mm, 1500mm, 1800mm
- Lightweight chamber design
- Tough and durable product
- A sealed chamber, built to exacting specifications and delivered to site ready to be installed
- The factory fitted vortex flow control device saves the contractor the time and expense of on-site construction
- Vortex flow control devices are widely recognised as being the most hydraulically efficient means of flow regulation. The unique design utilising no moving parts, means they are virtually maintenance free.
- Stormcheck Chambers are manufactured with an integral sump for silt catchment and an optional drain down system to ease maintenance and silt removal
- The Stormcheck Chamber can be integrated with any SUDS solution
One of the easiest to install, is the Hydro-Brake® Chamber, comprises a precast reinforced concrete chamber base containing a bespoke Hydro-Brake® Flow Control Valve.
A range of outlet pipe sizes are also available to suit site requirements. Once lifted into position, the connecting pipework can be installed. Depending on the overall depth of chamber required, further concrete rings can be added and the cover slab positioned (additional concrete rings and cover slab sold separately).
Hydro-Brake® Chamber Range
Option 1 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with High Level Overflow
Option 2 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with Adjacent Penstock
Option 3 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with Integral Weir Wall
Option 3 - Option 4 - Hydro-Brake Chamber with Complex Flow Controls
The Hydro-Valve is designed with a curved back to be installed on the internal wall of a 1200mm diameter concrete or plastic chamber.
Features & Benefits
- Manufactured to customised specifications
- Self activating and self cleaning
- Minimal maintenance
- The outlet opening is 3-6 times larger than conventional controls
- Reduce storage requirements by up to 30% compared to an orifice plate
- Curved back with neoprene seal allows ease of installation compared with conventional vortex valves
- The Hydro-Valve unit is attached to the inside of a standard 1200mm (diameter) manhole with six steel anchors (supplied)
- Available to suit rectangular manholes upon request
- Full installation drawings are supplied with Hydro-Valve
JDP can also supply individual Stainless Steel flow control valves